Dienstag, 9. Juni 2009

In praise of...Winston Churchill


My hero of the day is Winston Churchill. An obvious one I know but I wanted to get off to a good start.

I came across this quote from a 17 year old Churchill to his friend in Niall Ferguson's Empire:

"I can see vast changes coming over a now peaceful world; great upheavals, terrible struggles; wars such as one cannot imagine; and I tell you London will be in danger - London will be attacked and I shall be very prominent in the defence of London...I see further ahead than you do. I see into the future. The country will be subjected somehow to a tremendous invasion...but I tell you I shall be in command of the defences of London and I shall save London and the Empire from disaster".

The ramblings of a boy admittedly, but interesting reading nonetheless.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen